The longer I teach, the more I find that students need consequences for negative AND positive behavior. This year, I found myself going home stressed out and worn down after fussing (totally a Southern word!) all day. There had to be a better way! After speaking to our special education teacher, we came up with a plan and it has worked in amazing ways.
Catch Them Being Good!
Supplies
- Brag Tags - I use one free brag tag that I found on TPT (Teachers Pay Teachers) and printed it on colored paper. Punch a hole in each one.
- Clear ID holder
- Bucket
- Ball Chain Necklace
- Students who need some support
First, my students and I discussed red and green choices. Red choices are ones that you need to stop and think about. Green choices are good to go!
When I catch one of my students making a green choice, I hand them a brag tag. They write their name on it and place it in the bucket.
Anytime I need a student to help with anything in the room, I draw a name from the bucket. The more times their name is in the bucket, the more chances they have to be drawn out.
Once their name is drawn, they add the brag tag to their necklace.
Results!!
One of my students who has had meltdowns, argued with me, and basically totally defiant has had a complete turn around in behavior. One day he earned a brag tag and told me that he was caught being good!
Tips and Tricks
- Pass out LOTS of brag tags in the beginning to get students excited about them.
- Pick a behavior to focus on for the day and recognize students doing it. For example, my kiddos had a hard time being quiet in the hall so I focused on that for a week.


0 comments:
Post a Comment